This Resource Is Part Of The What’s On Your Mind? No Distraction Campaign.
Download The Full Resource Pack Here
NRSPP Fact Sheet: Understanding The Brain In Relation To Distracted Driving
Technology has advanced very quickly in the past two decades. With this explosion in information, there is more information in our faces that we have yet to adapt to. As a result our brain is over-activated, treating information from the modern world as a threat such as feeling the need to check social media constantly.
This campaign has also been developed in collaboration with Jerome Carslake (NRSPP), Gabrielle Fetalvero (NRSPP Swinburne Intern 2019/20), Kristie Young (MUARC), Tim Roberts (Fleet Strategy), Mark Stephens (Uniting Care Queensland), Stephen Hehir (Australia Post) and Kym Bancroft (Queensland Urban Utilities).
- Dingus, TA, Guo, F, Lee, S, Antin, JF, Perez, M, Buchanan-King, M & Hankey, J 2016, ‘Driver crash risk factors and prevalence evaluation using naturalistic driving data’, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 113, no. 10, p. 2636.
- Young, KL, Osborne, R, Koppel, S, Charlton, JL, Grzebieta, R, Williamson, A, Haworth, N, Woolley, J & Senserrick, T 2019, ‘What contextual and demographic factors predict drivers’ decision to engage in secondary tasks?’, IET Intelligent Transport Systems, pp. 1–6
- Young, KL, Osborne, R, Koppel, S, Charlton, JL, Grzebieta, R, Williamson, A, Haworth, N, Woolley, J & Senserrick 2019, ‘What are Australian drivers doing behind the wheel? An overview of secondary task data from the Australian Naturalistic Driving Study’, Journal of the Australasian College of Road Safety, vol 30 issue 1, pp. 27–33
- Young, KL, Koppel, S, Stephens, AN, Osborne, R, Chambers, R & Hassed, C 2019, ‘Mindfulness predicts driver engagement in distracting activities’, Mindfulness 10, pp. 913–922.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 2019, ‘CDC – Motor Vehicle Safety at Work: Topics: Distracted Driving at Work – NIOSH’, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/motorvehicle/topics/distracteddriving/default.html
- Puddicombe 2014, ‘Can I apply mindfulness to driving’, Headspace, https://www.headspace.com/blog/2014/07/23/applying-mindfulness-to-driving/
- Headspace 2017, ‘What is Mindfulness? – Headspace’, Headspace, https://www.headspace.com/mindfulness
- NRSPP 2016, ‘NRSPP Quick Fact: Driver Distraction’, NRSPP, https://www.nrspp.org.au/resources/nrspp-quick-fact-driver-distraction/
- NRSPP, Isler N & R 2018, ‘NRSPP Webinar: We Drive the way we live – Insights into safer driving at work’, NRSPP, https://www.nrspp.org.au/resources/nrspp-webinar-we-drive-the-way-we-live-insights-into-safer-driving-for-work/
- NRSPP & Kelleher, L 2017, ‘Webinar: Busy Brain Syndrome – The Root Cause of Driver Distraction’, NRSPP, https://www.nrspp.org.au/resources/busy-brain-syndrome-root-cause-driver-distraction/