This Resource Is Part Of The What’s On Your Mind? No Distraction Campaign.
Download The Full Resource Pack Here
NRSPP Fact Sheet: Distracted Driving And Mindfulness
What is mindfulness? It’s about being present and fully engaged in what we’re doing at the moment – free from distraction and judgment, and aware of our thoughts and feelings without getting caught up in them. Focused attention, one of the 8 aspects of mindfulness, is especially important in driving, where we need to keep our attention on the road and driving safely.
This campaign has also been developed in collaboration with Jerome Carslake (NRSPP), Gabrielle Fetalvero (NRSPP Swinburne Intern 2019/20), Kristie Young (MUARC), Tim Roberts (Fleet Strategy), Mark Stephens (Uniting Care Queensland), Stephen Hehir (Australia Post) and Kym Bancroft (Queensland Urban Utilities).
- Dingus, TA, Guo, F, Lee, S, Antin, JF, Perez, M, Buchanan-King, M & Hankey, J 2016, ‘Driver crash risk factors and prevalence evaluation using naturalistic driving data’, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 113, no. 10, p. 2636.
- Young, KL, Osborne, R, Koppel, S, Charlton, JL, Grzebieta, R, Williamson, A, Haworth, N, Woolley, J & Senserrick, T 2019, ‘What contextual and demographic factors predict drivers’ decision to engage in secondary tasks?’, IET Intelligent Transport Systems, pp. 1–6
- Young, KL, Osborne, R, Koppel, S, Charlton, JL, Grzebieta, R, Williamson, A, Haworth, N, Woolley, J & Senserrick 2019, ‘What are Australian drivers doing behind the wheel? An overview of secondary task data from the Australian Naturalistic Driving Study’, Journal of the Australasian College of Road Safety, vol 30 issue 1, pp. 27–33
- Young, KL, Koppel, S, Stephens, AN, Osborne, R, Chambers, R & Hassed, C 2019, ‘Mindfulness predicts driver engagement in distracting activities’, Mindfulness 10, pp. 913–922.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 2019, ‘CDC – Motor Vehicle Safety at Work: Topics: Distracted Driving at Work – NIOSH’, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/motorvehicle/topics/distracteddriving/default.html
- Puddicombe 2014, ‘Can I apply mindfulness to driving’, Headspace, https://www.headspace.com/blog/2014/07/23/applying-mindfulness-to-driving/
- Headspace 2017, ‘What is Mindfulness? – Headspace’, Headspace, https://www.headspace.com/mindfulness
- NRSPP 2016, ‘NRSPP Quick Fact: Driver Distraction’, NRSPP, https://www.nrspp.org.au/resources/nrspp-quick-fact-driver-distraction/
- NRSPP, Isler N & R 2018, ‘NRSPP Webinar: We Drive the way we live – Insights into safer driving at work’, NRSPP, https://www.nrspp.org.au/resources/nrspp-webinar-we-drive-the-way-we-live-insights-into-safer-driving-for-work/
- NRSPP & Kelleher, L 2017, ‘Webinar: Busy Brain Syndrome – The Root Cause of Driver Distraction’, NRSPP, https://www.nrspp.org.au/resources/busy-brain-syndrome-root-cause-driver-distraction/