The NSW Government has launched a new online tool kit to help drive a road safe culture in workplaces across the state.
Minister for Regional Transport and Roads Paul Toole said the Road Safety in Your Workplace program, announced during National Road Safety Week, will give workplaces access to a 30-minute online learning tool to help educate workers travelling for work every day.
“More than a quarter of road fatalities in NSW involve a vehicle used for business – that’s 77 deaths that happen while people are driving on the job,” Mr. Toole said.
“We are asking all employers right across the state to make road safety a core part of their business.
“This is especially important in regional communities, where people generally travel further and at higher speeds.
“The NSW Government is committed to working towards zero casualties in the workplace and across our state.”
The program features easy to understand case studies from employers such as Essential Energy, who are leading the way in embedding road safety practices within the workplace.
Essential Energy’s Head of Fleet Chris Dhu said: “Our recent implementation of In-Vehicle Monitoring Systems in all of our 1,990 vehicles and establishment of a mobile fleet maintenance capability are both highlighted in the case study for other businesses to consider for improved road safety,” Mr Dhu said.
“Adopting the road safety principles available through the Road Safety in Your Workplace Program is a great step towards improved road safety that every business and organisation can take.”
The Road Safety In Your Workplace Program supports workplaces to:
- Develop, implement and maintain a Road Safety Policy and embed it within existing Work Health and Safety policies
- Purchase and maintain a safe and roadworthy fleet
- Monitor and supervise work-related travel
- Ensure workers are competent to travel (have a valid licence and are comfortable driving available vehicles) and are not impaired (not fatigued and have not consumed alcohol or drugs)
- Schedule travel time to account for speed limits, weather, traffic, and fatigue management
- Ensure workers are educated about safe road behaviours and, if necessary, deliver road safety training
Employers can access the online tool kit at towardszero.nsw.gov.au/workplace
**Case study videos to download here via Drop Box or YouTube