This Resource Is Part Of The Sun Glare ToolBox Talk.
Download The Full Resource Pack Here
Our eyes are very sensitive to bright light, which can have negative impacts on our driving performance – also known as Sun Glare or Sun Dazzle. Sun Glare can cause momentary blindness, and in turn increase anxiety and nervousness. Drivers are advised to be aware of this issue and take the necessary steps to manage it.
This campaign has also been developed in collaboration with Jerome Carslake (NRSPP), Jennifer Rivera-Gonzalez (MUARC), Caitlin Xavier (NRSPP Swinburne Intern 2020/21) and Tim Roberts (FleetStrategy).
- SWOV, “Visual impairments and their effect on road safety,” [Online]. Available: https://www.swov.nl/sites/default/files/publicaties/gearchiveerde-factsheet/uk/fs_visual_impairments_archived.pdf.
- P. Pegin and E. Sitnichuk, “The Effect of Sun Glare: Concept, Characteristics, Classification,” Transport Research Procedia, vol. 20, pp. 474-479, 2017.
- S. Mitra, “Sun glare and road safety: An empirical investigation of intersection crashes,” Safety Science, vol. 70, pp. 246-254, 2014.
- R. Jurado-Piña, J. Pardillo-Mayora and R. Jiménez, “Methodology to Analyze Sun Glare Related Safety Problems at Highway Tunnel Exits,” Journal of Transportation Engineering, vol. 136, no. 6, pp. 545-553, 2010.
- D. Sun, K. El-Basyouny and T. J. Kwon, “Sun Glare: Network Characterization and Safety Effects,” Journal of the Transportation Research Board, vol. 2672, no. 16, pp. 79-92, 2018.
- L. Qing, Q. Fengxiang and Y. Lei, “Implications of Advanced Warning Messages on Eliminating Sun Glare Disturbances at Signalized Intersections,” Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 296-307, 2016.
- Transport Accident Commission (TAC), “Driving tips and tools – Driving conditions,” [Online]. Available: http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safety/safe-driving/tips-and-tools/driving-conditions.
- RACV, “Car safety,” [Online]. Available: https://www.racv.com.au/on-the-road/driving-maintenance/road-safety/car-safety.html#panel-tabmenucanvas_1274431794_canvas_par_tabbedcontent2.
- Transport for New South Wales, “Safer driving habits,” [Online]. Available: https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/ontheroad-65plus/safer-driving-habits.html.
- Tim Roberts. Driving in Sun Glare. November 30 2020. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ypsOrVhsCI&feature=emb_logo (Accessed: 09 December 2020).