Overview of Package
Our eyes are very sensitive to bright light, which can have negative impacts on our driving performance – also known as Sun Glare or Sun Dazzle. Sun Glare can cause momentary blindness, and in turn increase anxiety and nervousness. This Tool Box Talks explores the issue of Sun Glare and methods of managing it.
Tool Box Talks are an effective and cost-efficient way to communicate information and knowledge about driving safety, health and safety, and operational issues within a workplace. A Tool Box Talk should ideally take approximately 15-20 minutes. This Tool Box Talk Package is designed to provide Team Leaders/Managers and Facilitators with the required resources and information to conduct a tool box safety talk about sun glare risks when driving, to a group of employees within the organisation.
The package contains:
- A generic overview of Tool Box Talk Discussion including a step by step process to assist team leaders/managers and facilitators to lead a tool box talk discussion
- Aid for the promotion of discussion
- Topic background information and fact sheet
- Discussion prompt sheet
- Participant attendance record sheet
- Participant self-assessment sheet
- Discussion review sheet
- Sun glare risks when driving poster
- Supporting PowerPoint slides
- Sun Glare (Sun Dazzle) Video
- SWOV, “Visual impairments and their effect on road safety,” [Online]. Available: https://www.swov.nl/sites/default/files/publicaties/gearchiveerde-factsheet/uk/fs_visual_impairments_archived.pdf.
- P. Pegin and E. Sitnichuk, “The Effect of Sun Glare: Concept, Characteristics, Classification,” Transport Research Procedia, vol. 20, pp. 474-479, 2017.
- S. Mitra, “Sun glare and road safety: An empirical investigation of intersection crashes,” Safety Science, vol. 70, pp. 246-254, 2014.
- R. Jurado-Piña, J. Pardillo-Mayora and R. Jiménez, “Methodology to Analyze Sun Glare Related Safety Problems at Highway Tunnel Exits,” Journal of Transportation Engineering, vol. 136, no. 6, pp. 545-553, 2010.
- D. Sun, K. El-Basyouny and T. J. Kwon, “Sun Glare: Network Characterization and Safety Effects,” Journal of the Transportation Research Board, vol. 2672, no. 16, pp. 79-92, 2018.
- L. Qing, Q. Fengxiang and Y. Lei, “Implications of Advanced Warning Messages on Eliminating Sun Glare Disturbances at Signalized Intersections,” Journal of Traffic and Transportation Engineering, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 296-307, 2016.
- Transport Accident Commission (TAC), “Driving tips and tools – Driving conditions,” [Online]. Available: http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safety/safe-driving/tips-and-tools/driving-conditions.
- RACV, “Car safety,” [Online]. Available: https://www.racv.com.au/on-the-road/driving-maintenance/road-safety/car-safety.html#panel-tabmenucanvas_1274431794_canvas_par_tabbedcontent2.
- Transport for New South Wales, “Safer driving habits,” [Online]. Available: https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/ontheroad-65plus/safer-driving-habits.html.
- Tim Roberts. Driving in Sun Glare. November 30 2020. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ypsOrVhsCI&feature=emb_logo (Accessed: 09 December 2020).