Overview Of Package
Loads alter characteristics of a vehicle, such as weight and centre of gravity. In turn, to stay safe on the road, driving and manoeuvring also require adaptations. Learning how to load, restrain and unload your load properly keeps you and those you are sharing the road with, safe.
Loading a vehicle is a complex task, and an initial training is not enough. Every load and every journey are different. Depending on the industry, different vehicles serve different purposes, and face particular challenges. Besides the general risk assessment protocol, if working with certain types of load, such as loose material or liquids, requires special risk assessment training .
This package contains:
A generic overview of Toolbox Talk Discussion and how it can be applied to work driving safety, including a step by step process to assist team leaders/managers and facilitators to lead a Toolbox Talk discussion.
Aid for the promotion of discussion
Topic background information and fact sheet x3
Discussion prompt sheet
Participant attendance record sheet
Participant self-assessment sheet
Discussion review sheet
Load Management poster
Supporting PowerPoint Slides
Load Management video (access video here or contact NRSPP to download)
This Toolbox Talk has been developed in collaboration with Jerome Carslake (NRSPP), Jennifer Rivera-Gonzalez (MUARC), Kyla Fantin (NRSPP Swinburne Intern 2021/22), Ruby Athanas (NRSPP Swinburne Intern 2021/22), Tim Roberts (FleetStrategy).
Toolbox Talks Branding, marketing and promotional videos were completed by the Swinburne Design Bureau: Dr Shivani Tyagi (Communication Design Lecturer Swinburne and Director of Design Bureau), Kai Djeng (videos and editing), Emelia Cox (videos and editing), Lachlan Tobin (marketing and communications), Lauren Gualano (branding and logo design).
Toolbox Talks Steering Group includes: James Zarb (Viva Energy), Craig Beikoff (BINGO Industries), Jim Sarkis (BINGO Industries), Mark Noble (Holcim), Daniel Brain (Toll Group), Adam Ritzinger (Toll Group), Peter Johansson (Zurich), Steve Power (Heavy Vehicle Industry Australia), Mike Mulligan (Qube).
- Gregersen, N.P., Brehmer, B. & Moren, B. (1996). Road safety improvement in large companies. An experimental comparison of
different measures, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 28, 297-306.
- National Transport Commission (NTC), “Load Restraint Guide 2018,” 2018. [Online]. Available: https://www.ntc.gov.au/sites/default/files/assets/files/Load-Restraint-Guide-2018.pdf.
- Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency, “Safe loading,” 2021. [Online]. Available: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/choosing-theright-vehicle/choosing-and-operating-a-heavy-vehicle/safe-loading/.
- VicRoads, “Securing your load,” 2021. [Online]. Available: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/vehicle-safety/securingyour-load.
- National Transport Insurance (NTI), “Major Accident Investigation 2021 Report,” 2021. [Online]. Available: https://www.nti.com.au/getmedia/ae58e078-20da-4a50-9427-1b641a189598/NTI-NTARCReport-2021.pdf.
- National Road Safety Partnership Program (NRSPP), “Q&A: Tipper Trucks Tipping Over,” 2018. [Online]. Available: https://cdn-nrspp-s3-aus.s3.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2018/05/10171201/Tipper-Trucks-QA.pdf.
- National Roads and Motorists’ Association (NRMA), “Load safety is road safety,” 2021. [Online]. Available: https://www.mynrma.com.au/business/news/load-safety-is-road-safety.
- NSW Government, “Safety Around Your Vehicle – Glove Box Guide for All Heavy Vehicle Drivers,” 2020. [Online]. Available: https://www.nrspp.org.au/resources/safety-around-your-vehicle-by-nswgovernment/.
- Essential Energy, “(Interview),” 2021. [Online]. Available: https://www.essentialenergy.com.au/.
- National Road Safety Partnership Program (NRSPP), “Webinar: BlueScope Steel – Effective Load Restraint,” 2015. [Online]. Available: https://www.nrspp.org.au/resources/bluescope-steel-effective-loadrestraint/?platform=hootsuite.