Who are the Australian Automobile Association (AAA)?
The AAA is the peak organisation for Australia’s motoring clubs and their 8.5 million members. The association’s clubs are NRMA, RACV, RACQ, RAC, RACT and the AANT. The AAA regularly commissions research and develops in-depth analysis of issues affecting transport systems including road safety, affordability and vehicle emissions.
What industry do AAA operate within?
What does road safety mean to AAA?
The AAA and its member clubs have a strong commitment to road safety and recognise the urgent needs to improve road safety on Australian roads and reduce road deaths and serious injuries. The AAA regularly works with its member clubs and other key road safety stakeholder to develop shared views on road safety issues and advocate these to the federal government. An example is the ‘Reviving Road Safety’ policy, developed in September 2019, for which NRSPP offered its support.
AAA have also established the AAA Road Safety Research Program to support research and practical activities that deliver outcomes to help make our road safer and reduce fatalities and injuries. Our current research incorporates support from industry partners in the key road safety areas of fatigue and distraction to produce outputs that can be utilises by others to improve road safety.
Supporting actions delivered by AAA
- Steering Committee Partner from 2014 to present.
- Attended the NRSPP Utilities Forum in 2019 to understand key road safety issues as they relate to industry and this sector.
- Fatigued Driving – Australian Automobile Association (AAA) Current Research includes NRSPP, MUARC and Program Partner Tip Top.
- NRSPP and AAA continue to strongly support each other with NRSPP’s Independent Chair, Prof Barry Watson supporting several of AAA’s call for great investment and leadership by the Commonwealth regarding road safety mitigations.
- Mindfulness Driving to Reduce Driver Distraction – prefeasibility study funding from the AAA Road Safety Research Program
Australian Automobile Association (AAA)'s Contributions to the NRSPP & Points of Contact
- Steering Committee Partners
- Founding Partners
- Michelle QuesterNational Program Manager
What are AAA’s NRSPP road safety commitments?
- Provide input to the NRSPP on broader consumer/motoring road safety issues.
- Contribute to NRSPP working groups, including via participation of subject matter experts from within the AAA’s constituent member clubs.
- Support the NRSPP with dissemination of information to the public.
Steering Committee Partner from 2014 to present.
- Craig NewlandDirector, Technical Services
The AAA hosted the launch of NRSPP as part of the third UN Decade of Action gathering in Melbourne at the RACV club. The program was formally launched by Prince Michael of Kent on the 5 May and featured as part of the starting of meeting.
NRSPP wishes to acknowledge its thanks to AAA for providing such a launch platform for it to be featured at. What better way to start a collaborative program.