This power point presentation explores:
- Types of distraction whilst driving
- Cognitive distraction, inattention blindness, and multi-tasking
- Prevalence of distraction whilst driving
- What we have yet to learn
- What are promising approaches
Types of Distraction?
- Intentional shift of attention from driving
- Changing radio station/cd/ipod/etc.
- Conversation with passenger
- Attending to children
- Talking on phone, texting, etc.
- Fighting with partner, etc.
- Unintentional shift of attention from driving
- Roadside event
- Driving confusion (signage, etc.)
- Advertising, signage, etc.
A distraction that occupies the cognitive processes of the brain
Compare the following:
–Recite the alphabet while driving
––Name all of the cities you have lived in during your lifetime (while driving)
––Estimate the amount of money you spend on groceries in a year (while driving)