A self-funded industry-led program has created a level playing field for operators by setting a baseline safety standard to gain access to fuel terminals, simultaneously improving safety performance and efficiency without increasing regulation.
- Programs designed by industry for industry can increase safety and operating standards as well improve efficiency without imposing extra regulation
- Developing a safety-focused program where drivers and operators must meet minimum standards to access sites improves the safety standards of poorer performing industry operators
- Best practice businesses support and promote such programs because they create a level playing field for all operators by setting base safety standards
- Consulting industry on procedures and having senior level support from key players drives program buy-in
- Regulators support strong industry programs and utilise them to access industry perspectives to inform regulation
- Operating via a self-funding model, and re-investing revenue into new initiatives, creates a sustainable program resistant to economic fluctuations in business
- The Safe Load Program model can be easily replicated in other industry sectors.