In this Case study: ESB Workplace Road Safety Benefits interview, Grainne Coogan, Road Safety Bureau Communications Officer at ESB, a major Irish company involved in the production, supply, distribution and maintenance of electricity throughout Ireland and internationally, discusses how the organisation got to grips with road safety management and cut incidents dramatically over a ten-year period.
Questions asked and answered:
- What processes has the company put in place to tackle work related road safety for its employees?
- What kind of initiatives related to road safety has the company started?
- What have been the economic effects after achieving road safety improvements at ESB?
- Can you provide some evidence showing the improvement of safety levels and the reduction of vehicle damage, collision or personal injury within your organisation?
- Please provide details in relation to who is responsible for developing and implementing road safety processes and initiatives, including how top management (including CEO/Director) is involved at ESB.
- What are the trends or changes you can identify?
- What would you say are the main drivers/reasons for your company’s effort in road safety?
- Since neither a special driving licence nor vocational training is needed to drive a van, a gap in terms of professionalism can be expected. Are the van drivers at ESB receiving any training?
- Vans also have poorer aerodynamics and stability than cars. Does ESB provide guidelines on van loading, how to manage cargo while driving and checking other safety aspects (tyre pressure, mirrors etc.)?
- Short-range deliveries can lead to low seat-belt wearing rates and parking offences, especially in city centres. How do you handle that issue?
- Rapid, short and often ‘last minute’ interventions force drivers to stay connected through smart phones. Has ESB adopted a management strategy to optimise safety by minimising driver distraction?
- Did you develop a journey-planning system to maximise route efficiency? If so, how is it implemented?
- How do you ensure compliance with speed limits and drink-driving legislation?