Fuel Efficiency training module examines how to increase and improve fuel efficiency within a fleet.
Once you have completed this module you will be able to:
- describe how a vehicle can be driven to improve fuel efficiency
- describe how improving fuel efficiency can improve environmental stability
- identify resources available to assist commercial fleets to improve their driving practices and fuel efficiency.
Why maximize Fuel Efficiency
- Maximising fuel efficiency increases company profit and productivity.
- How much do you think the cost of fuel contributes to the cost of operating a vehicle?
Fuel can account for up to 11% of the cost of operating a vehicle. Any saving on fuel usage can make a difference to vehicle operational costs and company profitability. Vehicle performance and fuel consumption has a major influence on the success of any company with a commercial fleet. When commercial fleet managers choose safe, ‘fit for purpose’ and fuel efficient vehicles, their company will not only use less fuel, increase profit and productivity, but also protect drivers and other road users.
Vehicle choice and maintenance
- To choose a more fuel-efficient vehicle that is fit for the work intended, check the fuel economy label on vehicles for sales.
- Choose a vehicle with speed limiters or cruise control – you could save up to 6% in fuel
- Keep all vehicles well-maintained and regularly serviced
- Use a fuel with the octane rating that suits your vehicle’s engine.
- Choose a vehicle with aerodynamic cab deflectors, which help reduce drag.