This training module examines driver health and fitness.
Once you have completed this Driver Health and Fitness Training module you will be able to:
- describe how a driver’s health and fitness can affect their ability to drive safely
- describe the medical standards commercial fleet drivers must meet before they can drive
- describe how eating healthy meals can improve your concentration
You will need to complete the following sections to complete the Driver Health and Fitness Training module:
- How does fatigue affect your driving?
- Standards related to healthy driving
- Medical standards you must meet before you can drive
- Healthy eating can improve your driving
- Road quiz Further information
How does fatigue affect your driving?
- Did you know?
- About 90% of fatal crashes that involve fatigue as a contributing factor occur on the open road.
- New Zealand research indicated 38% of logging truck drivers were classified as ‘obese’, and 10% of had experienced a heart attack, heart surgery, stroke or had died as a result of cardiovascular disease.
- Obesity, diabetes, heart disease, loss of hearing, vision problems, stress, and fatigue are all a cause of concern for all New Zealand’s commercial fleet drivers.