Overview Of Package
Due to constant repetition, pre-start checks may seem non-necessary and even irrelevant, based on a false sense of safety. Thinking ‘because it was OK yesterday and the day before, it will be today too’, is not true.
As with any other work equipment, vehicles wear out and are exposed to environmental factors daily. One of the most efficient methods to identify small problems before turning into major incidents, is through pre-start inspections. They also support, safe journeys, low maintenance costs, and operational benefits . Pre-start checks set you up for success on the road.
This package contains:
A generic overview of Toolbox Talk Discussion and how it can be applied to work driving safety, including a step by step process to assist team leaders/managers and facilitators to lead a Toolbox Talk discussion.
Aid for the promotion of discussion
Topic background information and fact sheet x3
Discussion prompt sheet
Participant attendance record sheet
Participant self-assessment sheet
Discussion review sheet
Pre-start checks poster
Supporting PowerPoint Slides
Pre-start checks video (access video here or contact NRSPP to download)
This Toolbox Talk has been developed in collaboration with Jerome Carslake (NRSPP), Jennifer Rivera-Gonzalez (MUARC), Kyla Fantin (NRSPP Swinburne Intern 2021/22), Ruby Athanas (NRSPP Swinburne Intern 2021/22), Tim Roberts (FleetStrategy).
Toolbox Talks Branding, marketing and promotional videos were completed by the Swinburne Design Bureau: Dr Shivani Tyagi (Communication Design Lecturer Swinburne and Director of Design Bureau), Kai Djeng (videos and editing), Emelia Cox (videos and editing), Lachlan Tobin (marketing and communications), Lauren Gualano (branding and logo design).
Toolbox Talks Steering Group includes: James Zarb (Viva Energy), Craig Beikoff (BINGO Industries), Jim Sarkis (BINGO Industries), Mark Noble (Holcim), Daniel Brain (Toll Group), Adam Ritzinger (Toll Group), Peter Johansson (Zurich), Steve Power (Heavy Vehicle Industry Australia), Mike Mulligan (Qube).
- Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia, “The Benefits of Pre-Start Checklists,” 2020. [Online]. Available: https://www.ipwea.org/blogs/ipwea-australasia1/2020/10/19/the-benefits-of-pre-start-checklists.
- National Heavy Vehicle Regulator, “Creating heavy vehicle daily checks,” 2016. [Online]. Available: https://www.nhvr.gov.au/files/201611-0434-creating-heavy-vehicle-daily-checks.pdf.
- WasteAdvantage Magazine, “Predictive and Preventative Maintenance to Keep Your Fleet on the Road,” 2020. [Online]. Available: https://wasteadvantagemag.com/predictive-and-preventative-maintenance-to-keep-your-fleet-on-the-road/.
- Transport for NSW, “Road Safety In The Workplace With Essential Energy | Pre-Start App And Checklist,” 2021. [Online]. Available: https://www.nrspp.org.au/resources/road-safety-in-the-workplace-with-essential-energy-pre-start-app-and-checklist/.
- National Road Safety Partnership Program (NRSPP), “Grey Fleet: Pre-Start Checklists,” 2017. [Online]. Available: https://www.nrspp.org.au/resources/grey-fleet-pre-start-checklists/.
- Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency, “Driver pre-trip walk-around inspection guide,” [Online]. Available: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/commercial-toolkit/docs/truck-inspection-guide.pdf.
- Gnltruck1, “Heavy vehicle pre departure check,” 2010. [Online]. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TREhe7U3moY.
- Waka Kotahi New Zealand Transport Agency, “Fleet driver responsibilities,” 2021. [Online]. Available: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/commercial-driving/fleet-vehicles/fleet-driver-responsibilities/.
- National Road Safety Partnership Program (NRSPP) and Fleet Strategy, “NRSPP Jump Starter: Pre-Start Check,” 2019. [Online]. Available: https://www.nrspp.org.au/resources/pre-start-safety-check/.
- National Road Safety Partnership Program (NRSPP) and Fleet Strategy, “COVID-19: Vehicle Hygiene Should Now Be Part Of Your Pre-Start Check Process,” 2020. [Online]. Available: https://www.nrspp.org.au/resources/covid-19-vehicle-hygiene-should-now-be-part-of-your-pre-start-check-process/.
- Smart Trucking, “The Pre-Trip Inspection: A Practical Guide for the Truck Driver,” 2020. [Online]. Available: https://www.smart-trucking.com/pre-trip-inspection/.
- Verizon Connect, “Rules for Improving Pre-Trip Inspections,” 2019. [Online]. Available: https://www.verizonconnect.com/resources/article/pre-trip-inspections/.
- National Heavy Vehicle Regulator, “National Heavy Vehicle Inspection Manual,” [Online]. Available: https://www.nhvr.gov.au/safety-accreditation-compliance/vehicle-standards-and-modifications/national-heavy-vehicle-inspection-manual. [Accessed 2021].