Overview of Package
Rural and remote areas account for 65% of all road fatalities in Australia . Driving on country roads pose special challenges, from unsealed roads, to wildlife. This Tool Box Talks explores the ways to practise safe driving on rural roads.
Tool Box Talks are an effective and cost-efficient way to communicate information and knowledge about driving safety, health and safety, and operational issues within a workplace. A Tool Box Talk should ideally take approximately 15-20 minutes. This Tool Box Talk Package is designed to provide Team Leaders/Managers and Facilitators with the required resources and information to conduct a tool box safety talk about country road driving risks when driving, to a group of employees within the organisation.
The package contains:
- A generic overview of Tool Box Talk Discussion including a step by step process to assist team leaders/managers and facilitators to lead a tool box talk discussion
- Aid for the promotion of discussion
- Topic background information and fact sheet
- Discussion prompt sheet
- Participant attendance record sheet
- Participant self-assessment sheet
- Discussion review sheet
- Rural driving risks poster
- Supporting PowerPoint slides
- Video – to come!
- Australian Government, “Road Trauma Australia – Annual Summaries,” The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications, 2021.
- Queensland Government, “Rural and Remote Driving – Fact Sheet,” 2016.
- New South Wales Centre for Road Safety, “Road traffic crashes in New South Wales,” Transport for NSW, 2014.
- J. Y. Ang, B. Gabbe, P. Cameron and B. Beck, “Animal–vehicle collisions in Victoria, Australia: An under-recognised cause of road traffic crashes,” Emergency Medicine Australasia, vol. 31, pp. 851-855, 2019.
- National Road Safety Partnersihp Program (NRSPP), “Driving in rural and remote areas,” 2018.
- National Road Safety Partnership Program (NRSPP), “NRSPP Quick Fact: Unsealed Roads,” 2017.
- P. Rowden, D. Steinhardt and M. Sheehan, “‘Road crashes involving animals in Australia,” Accident Analyis & Prevention, vol. 20, pp. 1865-1872, 2008.
- National Road Safety Partnership Program (NRSPP), “Avoiding Animal Collisions,” 2019.
- fleetstrategy & 6words, “UCQ Regional Travel PART 1 Plan Well Be Safe NRSPP,” 2021. [Online]. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iBC2PRrQ_c&t=2s.
- fleetstrategy & 6words, “UCQ Regional Travel PART 2 Journey & Fatigue NRSPP,” 2021. [Online]. Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQfBDU2jTg.