Who Is The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator?
The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) is Australia’s independent regulator for all vehicles over 4.5 tonnes gross vehicle mass.
We administer one set of laws for heavy vehicles under the Heavy Vehicle National Law (HVNL), delivering a comprehensive range of services within a consistent regulatory framework. The HVNL applies in the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria.
We have a direct regulatory relationship with 41,000 road freight businesses, 257,000 people, 520,000 heavy vehicles, 400 road managers and 1000 authorised officers.
As the national regulator for the heavy vehicle road transport industry, we aim to assist the heavy vehicle industry to be safer and more productive by:
- ensuring industry’s understanding of their roles and responsibilities
- contributing to a regulatory framework and the harmonisation of associated standards
- ensuring appropriate levels of safety and compliance through ongoing review of business practices and behaviours
- developing a consistent approach to interventions and investigations using national standards and methodologies
- supporting appropriate behaviour and best practice throughout the supply chain by utilising Chain of Responsibility laws
- leading the transition from state-based regulator to a single national regulator
- supporting improved safety and compliance outcomes by education, guidance and the adoption of innovative technology.
Why Become A Program Partner?
The NHVR is seeking continuous improvement when it comes to heavy vehicle and road safety. We continue to work with, and seek input from all levels of the industry to ensure we can make a positive contribution to road safety culture.
The NRSPP represents another opportunity for the NHVR to engage positively with the wider industry to ensure road safety, while still maintaining the productivity required across the heavy vehicle industry.
It will continue to allow us to establish the building blocks to support heavy vehicle operators in taking responsibility for managing their risks to deliver safety outcomes.
National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR)'s Contributions to the NRSPP & Points of Contact
- Funding Partners
- Geoff CaseyExecutive Director of Productivity and Safety
Geoff Casey has an extensive background in regulatory policy, risk and safety management systems in safety critical industries. Although he has spent time in rail, mining and lecturing at university, his background and experience have primarily been in the aviation industry–including as an airline pilot, in air traffic management, as a regulator and with responsibilities for operational safety, risk and investigations at Qantas.
As the Executive Director of Productivity and Safety at the NHVR, Geoff’s key responsibilities include the development and delivery of the National Heavy Vehicle Safety and Productivity Strategy Frameworks. The National Heavy Vehicle Accreditation Scheme, Fatigue Unit, Safety Promotion Training and Education, Vehicle Standards and Performance Based Standards also report through to him.